More font work

for those who write, translate, draw, paint, design, compose, edit, direct, etc. and feel inspired by Oera Linda
Pax

Re: More font work

Post by Pax »

More work in progress. Jan, I think you are right about the tall letters; personally I find the Kurrent-like ascenders and descenders more aesthetically pleasing; and one could argue that the reason the Runskrift letters were drawn equally-sized on manuscript p. 46 was simply to make them fit so they would not overlap with the Standskrift letters.

I have created more variants for ascenders and descenders, but I am not fully done yet. I have also attached a writing test where I use some of the variants I prefer, such as the simpler M and N over the curly/loopy M and N in the manuscript's Runskrift. I am not fully in practice, so there is a lot of room for improvement. I find it is necessary to add a little stop before T's to prevent ambiguity; it is similar to Greek tau, but mirrored. Of course I will also try the Kurrent-like T you suggest.

I am interested in exploring how Runskrift can be adapted to also write the descendant languages such as Danish or German, with some simple rules and additions. I will look into that eventually.
Attachments
Runskrift test.png
Runskrift test.png (397.7 KiB) Viewed 343 times
Vektor.png
Vektor.png (391.08 KiB) Viewed 343 times
Vigtig Viden eller ligegyldig Info?
ott

Post by ott »

This is amazing, Pax!
Just wonderful.
It is coming to life now.
Pax

Post by Pax »

No problem. Some other notes I forgot to mention:
  • Several times, when going to the next letter, it was necessary to start from the top and make a downwards loop or line, e.g. from F to R, per your suggestion.
  • It was necessary to remove the ending loop in H, as it could otherwise resemble the Kurrent-like K variant when written quickly. But if one strictly writes OLB Runskrift without Kurrent-inspired variants, then it is not necessary.
  • I wrote the circumflex ^ inside the O as a test, but in small-sized letters, they probably wrote it above so it would not be confused with the short dash or dot in the O like in FÒ.
  • The L might have been written with a tall ascender, hence why it is tall in Kurrent and other cursive traditions.
  • Maybe the Í had a long descender like Y and P. I will test this.
Pax

Post by Pax »

More work in progress. Sheet still a bit messy.
  • I have placed the large versions of the letters on the main line and created large versions of Y, F, L. I will also create a large K. I experimented with a large Í, but it created ambiguity with U.
  • I have created the Kurrent-like T variant underneath the regular T. However, I find that regular T works fine if one draws a little bump when continuing from another letter.
  • I have replaced the previous N with the one suggested by Jan, i.e. inspired by Kurrent.
Attachments
Vektor.png
Vektor.png (456.73 KiB) Viewed 308 times