LOGHA and its descendants

Pax

LOGHA and its descendants

Post by Pax »

I recently thought about an old Danish word: Logh, now spelt Lov “law”. It appears in Jydske Lov (Jutish Law) from 1241 in the phrase Mæth Logh skal Land byggæs “with law shall (the) land be built”. Logh looks like Fryas LOGHA “flame” and means law, statute or oath of a legal statement being true. This is similar to Greek logos, which can mean speech, reasoning, explanation, tradition or law, among other things. Latin lēx “law, statute, contract” and lūx “light” are likely related too. Fire traditionally symbolises truth and knowledge; in Frya times, the burg maidens attended to the eternal flame and were responsible for teaching the children (i.e. giving knowledge). Assuming these suggested words descend from LOGHA, it seems descendants of LOGHA split in two broad categories: one about the physical flame (Lys, Licht, ljocht, lūx etc.) and one about the cultural ideas of the flame: truth and knowledge → reason, order, law (Logh, logos, law, lēx etc.).

Jan has talked about LOGHA in a 2012 blog post, but I wanted to add my ideas. For example, he points out that flames are also associated with the tongue, so Greek logos describing speech makes sense, and that looking into flames has been a traditional source of inspiration. Sungazing may be based on the same principle.
Vigtig viden eller ligegyldig info?
Helgiteut

Re: LOGHA and its descendants

Post by Helgiteut »

I'm glad you mentioned sungazing, that has also been linked to fire-gazing and the fire "worship" of the Zoroastrians.
Brea, bûter en griene tsiis is goed Ingelsk en goed Frysk