Kraftr

Let Freedom Ring: a History of the Phrygian Cap

Post by Kraftr »

Let Freedom Ring: a History of the Phrygian Cap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e80z-jyk4D4
Pax

Re: Let Freedom Ring: a History of the Phrygian Cap

Post by Pax »

Interesting that he mentions that the Thracians and Trojans were depicted wearing the Phrygian cap. I suggested in your hunter-gatherer thread that the Trojans and Thracians might have ultimately come from northern migrating Goths, settlers from Nef-Tunis or Minerva or all of these, along with some unknown but probably Greek and Slavic admixture. The Frya contingent of these Thracians and Trojans might have brought the cap with them. He also mentions that “barbarians” were depicted with the cap. Alewyn J. Raubenheimer explains in Chronicles From Pre-Celtic Europe (2014) that barbarian, i.e. someone outside the Graeco-Roman world, was not necessarily a derogatory term in ancient texts; it just meant foreigner. In fact, those foreigners (often the Fryas) were often powerful and admired. I guess it comes as no surprise that the symbol of the cap was co-opted and subverted in the so-called “Enlightenment”.

The name Phrygian itself is interesting because one could hypothetically trace that name to Frya. However, my etymology may be a little far-fetched.

FRYA
→ *Fryja, similar to the varieties of Freyja/Freja/etc.
→ *Phryja. The Greeks wrote PH instead of F.
→ *Phrygja. The J was likely mispronounced as G or CH, like how Fryas BIJIN became Danish begynde, Dutch beginnen etc., so they added a G.
→ Phrygia. Trivial change from J to I.
Vigtig Viden eller ligegyldig Info?