More font work

for those who write, translate, draw, paint, design, compose, edit, direct, etc. and feel inspired by Oera Linda
Helgiteut

Re: More font work

Post by Helgiteut »

It's looking great. I haven't written in cursive for a while, but this will be a good way to get me into it.
Brea, bûter en griene tsiis is goed Ingelsk en goed Frysk
ott

Post by ott »

Well done! I look forward to see scanned attempts of writing actual Fryas words or lines in this skrift with pen and ink.
Pax

Post by Pax »

I have created a study which shows how I arrived at the F.
F study.jpg
F study.jpg (524.54 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
Vigtig Viden eller ligegyldig Info?
ott

Post by ott »

This is my interpretation:
letter_F-2.jpg
letter_F-2.jpg (14.98 KiB) Viewed 4433 times
Pax

Post by Pax »

I have created an initial version of a practice sheet for single letters. This version is A4-sized; I will create a Letter version for Americans later. I will also create practice sheets for writing connected letters and important words like WRALDA and FRYA.

The instruction at the top of the page says “follow the lines and write the letters.” I wanted to write “trace the dots” but I was not sure what that would be in Fryas. Each row contains two dotted versions where the second has fewer dots, to make the transition more gradual. Maybe it is best to create just one dotted version?

I created a variant of Ô where the circumflex is inside like in the Standskrift letter; otherwise I could not make it fit without making it small. I omitted J because the dot would go outside the writing space, and it is just I with a dot anyway. The last two lines include duodecimals; if you are not interested in those, just ignore them.

Eventually I will also create practice sheets for Standskrift.

Runskrift, practice, single letters, A4.png
Runskrift, practice, single letters, A4.png (634.3 KiB) Viewed 4420 times

The attached ZIP contains a printable PDF file.
Attachments
Runskrift, practice, single letters, A4.zip
(23.78 KiB) Downloaded 758 times
Nordic

Post by Nordic »

Awesome! Thanks for the practise sheet. I myself learned writing that way and I hear the cursive script is also making nowadays a comeback in select American states.
Pax

Post by Pax »

I have added the Runskrift resources to the Fonts page on the wiki (link). There are printable sheets for both A4 and Letter sizes. I corrected the Y because I was not satisfied with the way I drew it.

I have also updated the Standskrift and Wagumskrift fonts so the underscore is shorter (like a Fryas underscore) and the W in Wagumskrift looks like two consecutive V's. When one looks closely at the manuscript itself, there is a convention of using the underscore to connect compounds, affixes and enclitics. Sometimes the space is narrow, making the line look like a dot.
ott

Post by ott »

ott wrote: 10 Dec 2023, 19:36 This is my interpretation
I am certain you've got the F wrong.

The German Kurrentschrift (or 'laufschrift'!) and Sütterlin style have a small 'f' that seems to be a clear descendant of the Runskrift-F. After the pen has been at the lowest point, it goes half-up again and makes a small anticlockwise circle. In the Runskrift this circle was larger.
Kurrent-und-Sutterlin-Schrift.jpg
Kurrent-und-Sutterlin-Schrift.jpg (74.1 KiB) Viewed 4106 times
Once more, my interpretation:
letter_F-2.jpg
letter_F-2.jpg (14.98 KiB) Viewed 4106 times
ott

Post by ott »

Besides the F (and the name), there are more striking similarities between German Laufschrift and Festas Runskrift, for example the Laufschrift large P and the D.

Also (less spectacular, because more common) the large R, L and X: These give additional indication of how the letters may have been connected.
ott

Post by ott »

Deutsche_Kurrentschrift vgl Runskrift.jpg
Deutsche_Kurrentschrift vgl Runskrift.jpg (424.66 KiB) Viewed 4003 times
Interesting evolution can also be shown with H, M, N, and T.

(More about this will be added.)