More font work

for those who write, translate, draw, paint, design, compose, edit, direct, etc. and feel inspired by Oera Linda
Pax

More font work

Post by Pax »

I created the digital fonts used to display the Fryas text on the Oera Linda Wiki. Inspired by the most recent call between Jan and Bruce, I started a bit of work on a Runskrift font. Currently work in progress. It may be possible to create ligatures that connect them harmoniously if I do it right. (In font terms, a ligature is a special combined character made up of two other characters, like TH in Fryas.) I think the F will look very close to the Greek lowercase φ (phi). I will post an update when there is more.
Runskrift WIP.jpg
Runskrift WIP.jpg (220.49 KiB) Viewed 3747 times
I also have a mock-up of a “Standskrift Sans” font (working title). I created the mock-up in April. I will return to that work soon and finish the font, which could be helpful in teaching the writing of the Frya letters, since the current Standskrift font imitates the Oera Linda book for stylistic purposes. The image below is Standskrift Sans compared to Wagumskrift and Standskrift. The quote is from Jan's video ecce cadit māter Frisiae.
Standskrift Sans WIP.png
Standskrift Sans WIP.png (73.54 KiB) Viewed 3747 times
Vigtig Viden eller ligegyldig Info?
ott

Re: More font work

Post by ott »

That is wonderful, Pax. I would certainly familiarize myself with this font and use it. The O's can become somewhat smaller eventually, I think.
Pax

Post by Pax »

Agreed. I will resize them at the end so they are consistently sized. Here is another WIP screenshot. I have tried to add tails (based on my interpretation) where they were missing; it is not consistent in the OLB.
Runskrift WIP 2.jpg
Runskrift WIP 2.jpg (234.56 KiB) Viewed 3433 times
Pax

Post by Pax »

More work in progress below. Because some letters in the manuscript's Runskrift specimen require more than one stroke, namely K, X and 4, I have interpreted them in such a way that each requires one stroke.

I am uncertain about V vs. N (in the middle, next to R) because the only thing that differentiates them is how the tail ends, similar to how P vs. R are separated by how the tail looks. I am also uncertain about F and K. I remembered that Jan created his own reconstruction of F in an old blog post, so I will draw that variant in vector soon. I will also create a variant of K that does not have the loop; I initially added the loop because it would then be closer to how modern handwritten lowercase-k looks.

Finally, I created my interpretation of the Runskrift letters for Ò, W, Z. The Standskrift versions are shown for comparison.

The next steps are cleaning up these initial tracings so they are consistently sized and styled, loops are consistent, inclination is consistent etc.
Attachments
Runskrift WIP 3a.jpg
Runskrift WIP 3a.jpg (211.57 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
Runskrift WIP 3b.png
Runskrift WIP 3b.png (157.53 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
Pax

Post by Pax »

Slow work in progress. First image is standardising the sizes, slant and loops. Second is more F variants that I thought of. A loop at the bottom of F would be problematic, since it would resemble L too closely.
Attachments
Runskrift WIP 4a.png
Runskrift WIP 4a.png (37.76 KiB) Viewed 3309 times
Runskrift WIP 4b.png
Runskrift WIP 4b.png (24.66 KiB) Viewed 3309 times
ott

Post by ott »

This is a huge challenge, Pax. Have you examined known old longhand writing styles?
Runskrift will have had more varieties than Standskrift.
It may not be that important to connect every single letter without lifting pen from the paper. Perhaps it would be good to first learn to write this script well with pen (untill you get a natural flow) and only then continue to design the digital variety.
Pax

Post by Pax »

I have looked at old handwriting styles, yes. Old Western and Greek handwriting is how I got my current ideas for F, H and K. Designing the digital draft has actually helped me write Frya words on paper because the Runskrift specimen in the OLB was too ambiguous. I will spend more time practicing as you suggest. In any case, I will have to create several variants of many letters, including ones where the pen is lifted, e.g. when writing K or X.
Nordic

Post by Nordic »

Very nice work, Pax!
Pax

Post by Pax »

Another slow WIP screenshot. I realised after practice that the hard tails I added at the feet of some letters did not make sense, so I made them into loops, which look better and are faster to write. That also makes it easier to see the connection to the Latin lowercase cursive j and y for example. I also realised that in practice, one differentiates between P/R and V/N by how steeply one draws the tail, not by adding an additional tail.
Runskrift WIP 5.png
Runskrift WIP 5.png (77.52 KiB) Viewed 3259 times
Pax

Post by Pax »

I have completed an initial version. Standskrift letters are shown above Runskrift letters.
Festa's Runskrift v1.png
Festa's Runskrift v1.png (259.4 KiB) Viewed 3252 times
Comments:
  • The Runskrift specimen is ambiguous, so this is my interpretation, or attempted restoration.
  • The letters have been drawn to have same sizes and slants.
  • The additional letters ÒWZ are placed next to their base letters.
  • The initial loop in H is added by me, but when looking at TH, and considering the history of writing a loop in Latin lowercase cursive h, it is obvious H should have a loop.
  • D does not have a loop in the specimen, but it was annoying to write, so I added a loop, which one sees in Latin uppercase cursive D's.
  • To distinguish between P/R and V/N, start the next letter at a high or low position: high after P/V, low after R/N.
  • F is based on Greek lowercase cursive φ (phi) because: 1) It closely matches the ambiguous F in the specimen. 2) The Greeks borrowed many letters from the Fryas, and this was likely one of them, as φ = PH/F.
  • My suggestion for W looks like IV, but in practice, this ambiguity is not an issue because: 1) IV never occurs in places where W occurs; WR.ALDA would not be confused for IVR.ALDA, and SKRIVA would not be confused for SKRWA. 2) IV is rare, mostly found in WIVA and SKRIVA where V is a consonant. If it were a vowel, it would be corrected to JV or JU.
  • I suggest two ways to write X in one stroke: one where a “foldable chair” is formed, and one where a loop is formed.
  • Duodecimal numerals (inspired by Isaac Pitman) are included because I like duodecimals and twelve is significant in the OLB.
Initially I thought I could create a font with connected ligatures, but it is technically difficult. Besides, it should be written by hand, so it is more fitting that I create practice sheets. I will update the Fonts page on the wiki soon.