More font work

for those who write, translate, draw, paint, design, compose, edit, direct, etc. and feel inspired by Oera Linda
ott

Re: More font work

Post by ott »

D.jpg
D.jpg (31.71 KiB) Viewed 2787 times
F.jpg
F.jpg (30.92 KiB) Viewed 2781 times
N.jpg
N.jpg (37.56 KiB) Viewed 2773 times
T.jpg
T.jpg (30.28 KiB) Viewed 2769 times
More of these will be added.
Pax

Post by Pax »

Your new illustration of F makes sense; the previous depended on a shape which I could not see in the manuscript when zooming in, closely inspecting the ink and noting the gaps in the strokes as well as the darkness of the ink. Good observations on Kurrent; I did not think to look at it, since I always found it unintelligible. You are right that the name is a nice coincidence (or possible tradition): Kurrent would come from Latin currō, “I run.”

Kurrent makes many innovations, so it is not always easy to tell whether something was part of the original Runskrift or a later development. For example, I think the additional loops in P and R are innovations in Kurrent, since writing Fryas P and R without the loops is just as easy. In other words, there is no practical justification for the additional loops, whereas it is necessary in H and K in order to maintain one's flow of the pen.

Fryas F can be interpreted in both ways; the vertical fold makes it ambiguous.
  • In my interpretation, it can be shown that the scribe wrote two lines: first the horizontal line, then the vertical line which has two tails on it. Vertical lines in Fryas tend to be written with two tails, like in the letters I and J and the number 1. Connecting these two lines, forming a φ-like shape, would be a Greek-like variant of the proper Runskrift letter. For speed reasons, the variant would have been preferred over writing two strokes.
  • In your interpretation, the end of what I consider the vertical line continues “behind” the fold and creates a counter-clockwise ring, making the letter just one stroke. I think it is a nice interpretation and fits well with the tradition continued in Kurrent; it just makes different assumptions about the original ink in the manuscript.
I will add the Kurrent-like variants of F, D and T to the sheets soon. It is possible I misjudged when I added a bottom loop to D; I found it uncomfortable to write two hard corners in a row, which is why I think that scribes would de facto have added a bottom loop, which we see in other cursive traditions. Kurrent X is a nice way to write X that Runskrift scribes might have used. Kurrent W happens to align with my suggestion for Fryas W: two downwards loops followed by an upwards loop.
Vigtig Viden eller ligegyldig Info?
ott

Post by ott »

Pax wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 12:19I think the additional loops in P and R are innovations in Kurrent, since writing Fryas P and R without the loops is just as easy. In other words, there is no practical justification for the additional loops, whereas it is necessary in H and K in order to maintain one's flow of the pen.
The loops will at least have been helpful in words that have O, V, U or T before P or R, like BOPPA, FORTH, VPPA, VR, BURCH and STRÁMA. (Note: the Kurrent capitals were usually at the beginning of a word/name only.) Ligatures could be added.

Notes on the practicing sheet:
In Standskrift, the F sticks out above the other letters (as does H/TH clearly; À/Á little). One would expect the same in Runskrift (as various letters still do in more modern cursives). So I think there should be an extra dotted line, allowing for parts to stick out above or below the normal letters. Above: H, TH, F? (T if starting loop is used, e.g. in MOT, NAVT, UT etc.); below: F?, P?, Y?, Í?
Pax

Post by Pax »

I will test the ideas you suggest. Thanks for bringing them up.
ott

Post by ott »

Another suggestion for the practicing sheet:

Imperative of FOLGJA and SKRÍVA would be FOLG/FOLCH and SKRÍV/SKRÍF.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

I wanted to thank you for all this work, wonderful!
Helgiteut

Post by Helgiteut »

I wanted to share how the font looks on my browser (Opera). I Think the Wagumscript is a good in between for Fryascript and our own latin alphabet, and it gets me used to for example the "g" as a backwards "d." Thank you Pax
Attachments
Screen Shot 2024-01-20 at 12.35.12 pm.png
Screen Shot 2024-01-20 at 12.35.12 pm.png (216.37 KiB) Viewed 2389 times
Brea, bûter en griene tsiis is goed Ingelsk en goed Frysk
Pax

Post by Pax »

No problem, to both of you. This thread is a good example of why two heads are better than one; Jan noticed some things I had not considered.

Helgiteut, thank you as well for your work on the wiki articles. You use an old version of Wagumskrift; I have fixed the W and some spacing issues since then. If you find the letters hard to read, use the separate fonts Wagumskrift 10 or Wagumskrift 8. I may or may not be right about my theory that the Fryas invented this style for inscriptions and the Greeks and Romans copied it for their inscriptions. I find it plausible, but even if false, I just like the style.
Pax

Post by Pax »

Slow update:
  • I have created more variants of I, J, D, F, V, W, N, M, K. In most cases I prefer the variants because they are faster to write and less ambiguous in some cases. This is just based on my own tests.
  • I have made a new single-stroke X that I think looks better. I was not satisfied with the other two.
  • I have slanted the numbers so they look more cursive. The right-angled ones are below.
The most Runskrift-like characters are in the main line while variants are underneath, since the project is primarily about reconstruction. Thus my personal tastes are secondary.

I am not sure about the issue about ascending and descending lines. For example, TH could be written taller, but what about T? It could be written in a Kurrent-like way per Jan's suggestion, although I find that it is sufficiently easy to write the simpler T as in the manuscript's Runskrift specimen, including when connecting to other characters. What about H? It could be taller, but I find it looks OK writing it the same size as other letters, like on the Bayeux tapestry. Still chewing on this idea. I will update the wiki and post a written specimen eventually.

If you right-click and open the image in a new tab, you should be able to zoom in.
Attachments
Vektor.png
Vektor.png (334.93 KiB) Viewed 576 times
ott

Post by ott »

Wonderful, Pax!