examples of Fryas words being more pure than Latin or Greek

Nordic

Re: examples of Fryas words being more pure than Latin or Greek

Post by Nordic »

Ott or anyone, please make a permanent blog post or wiki page on all these examples. Minerva the Nehalennia would fit in there, too.
ott

Post by ott »

A book could be filled with examples of names, words, expressions, aspects of language and ways of thinking that can better be explained through the Fryas language. Some good ones are on the Saved from the Flood (Fryskednis) blog.

For now I try to focus on making the new Dutch translation. When other good examples come to mind, I will post them here.
ott

Post by ott »

MEN-but.jpg
MEN-but.jpg (509.45 KiB) Viewed 199 times
In the Oera Linda, MEN is used almost 300 times for but, though, rather, however etc.
Pax

Post by Pax »

Some additonal notes, with my own conjecture:
  • Fryas MEN → Danish/Norwegian/Swedish men, Icelandic en
  • Fryas MÁR → Dutch maar. MÁR means “more” but can also mean “but” in some cases where MÁR is used as a conjunction, e.g. OLB p. 164: NÉNE ÍRA MÁR GODA “not ireful, rather (more) good.”
  • Fryas BÛTA → English but
  • Fryas THACH/THA → Danish/Norwegian dog, Swedish dock, Icelandic þó, Dutch toch, German doch, English though
German aber can be traced to Old Saxon aver/afer, which may be a variant of eft “again, back” which could also mean “on the other hand”. eft would be a contraction of Fryas EFTER/ÀFTER. aber could also come from unattested Fryas *NEWÉRE, later Old Frisian newēre “but rather” (lit. like German nicht wäre), hypothetically later shortened to *ewēr and then through sound changes altered to aver/afer and finally aber. Alternatively, aber is an Old High German loanword and may be related to Italian però and Spanish pero, which come from Latin per hōc “for this [reason]”.

Italian ma and French mais are traditionally traced to Latin magis “more”, which was also used to mean ”but” in the same way as Fryas MÁR. magis and magister were probably related to each other. To explain this, it helps to look at Old German: in Old Saxon, mēste/mēster can mean “master/teacher”, “most” and “more”. The same happens in Old High German with meist/meistar. Thus there is a lot of overlap between the concepts of master and most; perhaps “master” comes from the meaning of “the one with the most [knowledge, authority, power etc.]”. Of course, mēster/meistar come from Fryas MÀSTER, and mēste/meist from Fryas MÁSTE/MÉST.

In Latin, the same development probably occurred. Latin dictionaries traditionally trace magister “master, teacher” to simply being magis “more” with -ter tacked at the end, similarly to minister and sinister. However, since magister replaced an earlier form magester, it is also possible that magester replaced an even earlier unattested *maester or *mēster, which would ultimately come from Fryas. Something interesting about magis and magister is that they sound like Magi. We already know that the Magyars established themselves as the priest class in the places they went and that the priests in Rome were prestigious and powerful. So perhaps the Magi-sters became associated with teaching and leadership.
Vigtig Viden eller ligegyldig Info?
Kraftr

Post by Kraftr »

cool! Maybe Magi(sjaman) got the name as a recognition of being more learned, and leading the rituals. We still say in Dutch and English 'do you think you are more than me', basically 'are you my master/teacher'. And in Dutch ones' superior is your 'meerdere'. It was suprising when an Eastern European called me 'master', then I realised it just meant 'artist' -still good for the ego.

from etymonline.com
*meg-

Proto-Indo-European root meaning "great."

It forms all or part of: acromegaly; Almagest; Charlemagne; maestro; magisterial; magistral; magistrate; Magna Carta; magnate; magnitude; magnum; magnanimity; magnanimous; magni-; Magnificat; magnificence; magnificent; magnify; magniloquence; magniloquent; Magnus; maharajah; maharishi; mahatma; Mahayana; Maia; majesty; major; major-domo; majority; majuscule; master; maxim; maximum; may (v.2) "to take part in May Day festivities;" May; mayor; mega-; megalo-; mickle; Mister; mistral; mistress; much; omega.

It is the hypothetical source of/evidence for its existence is provided by: Armenian mets "great;" Sanskrit mahat- "great, mazah- "greatness;" Avestan mazant- "great;" Hittite mekkish "great, large;" Greek megas "great, large;" Latin magnus "great, large, much, abundant," major "greater," maximus "greatest;" Middle Irish mag, maignech "great, large;" Middle Welsh meith "long, great."

maybe related; german manche(english; some), ger. eine Menge(eng.; a lot)
So (in improvised writing); een meang- mer- meyest